Thursday, March 31, 2011

How you know...

How you know you're doing good.

One day I walked past Amber's bedroom door and overheard her talking to her favorite baby, April Rose. Apparently, April Rose had misbehaved and was being corrected. I don't remember the exact words after all these years, but something on the order of " It's ok April Rose, everybody makes mistakes, I know you didn't mean it." She hugged her baby and loved her and didn't make her cry.

Yesterday, Jiro was playing with some toys on my bed while I was doing something on the computer when I heard him singing a vaguely familiar tune. I turned slowly to watch him without disturbing him and saw that he was rocking Buzz and as I listened I recognized the tune (the phrasing here is very interpretive):

The words were:

Huss eyo baby, no tay erd, by oo bird...

The tune was:

Hush little baby, don't say a word,

Grandma's going to buy you a mockingbird.

I have been singing that song to him since he was born. We don't even have it on cd. I turned my head and cried, just like that day with Amber. I knew I had done good.

No comments:

Post a Comment